San Diego Symphony Sound & Silence:
An interactive elementary school music program
Students in grades 3 – 5 are invited to join characters Sound and Silence on an interactive journey across the universe exploring answers to the question: What is music?
Teachers can mix and match in-person and online experiences that support their classroom goals, and prepare students for a culminating concert where they sing and play along with the orchestra.
All program participants receive:
- 8 – 10 week digital curriculum guide (with easy-to-implement lesson plans)
- Video resources featuring San Diego Symphony musicians
- Professional development
- Access to a live, in-person culminating concert at Jacobs Music Center or virtual performance
San Diego Symphony school programs are free to all participants. Transportation is not included.
The Sound and Silence unit guides students on an exploration to learn the fundamentals of music, build a joy of listening, and develop the skills to perform together.
Goal 1: Foster music appreciation: building skills to listen (exposure)
Students will be able to listen with curiosity.
Goal 2: Develop music literacy: connecting language to sound (practice)
Students will be able to comprehend music with specific terminology to enrich individual musical tastes.
Goal 3: Create community: working together to perform as an ensemble (performance)
Students will learn to produce music together to confidently perform alongside the orchestra at the culminating concert.
TAILOR YOUR EXPERIENCE
Create a program that works best for your classroom! We know that every teacher and school has unique goals and needs. Mix and match the components below to design the school program that supports your student’s learning the best.
San Diego Symphony School Concert: Live or Online
Bring your students to Jacobs Music Center or tune in online for an interactive school concert. Students will meet the musicians, sing along and play along with the orchestra, and listen to contrasting works by some of history’s greatest composers.
José Pablo Moncayo: Huapango
Johann Strauss Jr: On the Beautiful Blue Danube
Florence Price: Symphony No. 1, mvt. III Juba Dance: Allegro
Claude Debussy: "Clair de Lune" from Suite Bergamasque
Charles Ives: Variations on “America”
In-person school concerts will be held on the following dates and times:
- Friday, April 19, 2024: 10:30am
- Friday, April 19, 2024: 12:00pm
- Thursday, April 25, 2024: 10:30am
- Thursday, April 25, 2024: 12:00pm
Additional concert information
- Register early to secure your classroom’s spot in the live, in-person concert. Requests for concert tickets will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis.
- One chaperone is required for every 10 students
Meet the Musicians: A Chamber Music Experience
A small ensemble of San Diego Symphony musicians will visit your school. Your students will learn about the individual instruments and instrument family, alongside an introduction to the fundamentals of music (pitch, dynamics, tempo, and more!)
Note: Chamber ensemble visits will need to be scheduled at a mutually agreed upon time with teachers and musicians. Register early, limited availability.
Classroom Curriculum: 8 – 10 weeks of interactive lessons
Designed for general classroom teachers and music teachers to implement, this curriculum introduces students to music fundamentals and prepares them to sing and play along in the culminating concert with the orchestra. Each week, the characters Sound and Silence guide the students in their learning through fun games, challenges, and reflections. After the concert, students review their experience and deepen their connections with each other and the orchestra.
Educator Professional Development: Prepare to implement
Learn more about the curriculum, meet musicians, access resources, and get all your questions answered in this professional development workshop. The workshop will include repertoire review and creative lesson extensions.
Professional Development Workshops will be hosted by San Diego Symphony staff at Jacobs Music Center or The Rady Shell at Jacobs Park (locations to be confirmed soon).
- Tuesday, November 28, 2023: 5 – 6:30pm
- Friday, January 19, 2024: 5:30pm – 7pm
- Friday, January 26, 2024: 5:30pm – 7pm
If you would like to host a Professional Development Workshop at your school or for your district, you can let us know on your registration form or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register early to ensure your students have access to all Sound & Silence experiences. Some elements of the program have limited capacity, and will be accessible on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Friday, November 3, 2023: Round 1. Register before this date to secure a chamber ensemble visit to your classroom.
- Friday, February 2: Round 2. Register before this date to ensure your classroom’s attendance at the April in-person concerts. Note: space is limited, register early.
- Friday, April 12: Round 3. Register before this date to access the live-streamed school concert.
Thank you to the educators that spent countless hours developing this program alongside San Diego Symphony staff.
Jennifer (Jem) Miller
For more information or questions about San Diego Symphony’s elementary school program, please email email@example.com.