High School Ambassadors
The San Diego Symphony’s High School Ambassadors program provides students across San Diego County with meaningful training and employment experiences in the performing arts field.
High School Ambassadors is a paid summer internship program designed to build college and career readiness. It is open to high school students, ages 15 – 18, across San Diego County. The program is 3-weeks long and combines training and on-the-job experience.
During the week, you will participate in workshops on financial literacy, public speaking, resume and interview training, and hands-on job training as a San Diego Symphony usher. Guest speakers include Symphony staff, musicians, and technical crew who share the wide range of career possibilities in the arts and pathways to those careers. On weekends, you will be employed as an usher alongside San Diego Symphony front of house staff and volunteers.
"I learned that I should take any chance, any opportunity for experiences, progression, etc. Say yes, chase [your] dreams." – Nathalie Peña, Hilltop High School, Chula Vista, Class of 2023
"I was unaware of the types of jobs in civic engagement and performing, which is a path I want to take as a career [now]. This program helped me discover that." – Isabela Flores, Point Loma High School, Point Loma, Class of 2024.
What to Expect
- Participate in professional development workshops during the week and hands-on work with the Front of House team on the weekend.
- Become part of a network of high school leaders in San Diego County.
- Discover the wide range of career possibilities in the performing arts field while building your resume.
- Experience live music and connect with San Diego Symphony musicians.
- March 10, 2023: Application deadline
- June 28 – July 14, 2023: Cohort 1
- July 24 – August 11, 2023: Cohort 2
Fri & Sat concert duty: 4:45-7:45pm
Who Should Apply?
- High school students in grades 9–12 (between the ages of 15- 18); graduating seniors are eligible to participate.
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Those who are interested in music or future careers in the arts or who love to work with a wide range of people
What is the Compensation?
- Ambassadors will earn $16.30 per hour.
- Benefits include: professional development training, complimentary tickets, networking opportunities, connection with artists.
DOWNLOAD THE 2023 HIGH SCHOOL AMBASSADORS FLYER TODAY!
Our 2022 High School Ambassadors Cohort - From Many Regions of San Diego County!